History of St Michaels Garage
Established in 1976 by David Ferrett, today St Michaels Garage is a father and son run business, with son James now playing an integral role alongside David. Not only that, our team is made up of highly experienced salesmen, who between them have been consistently serving our customers for nearly 140 years!
After more than forty years of trading, the company is still located at the original St Michaels Road site and has also grown to include the additional Millen Road site - both located in Sittingbourne, Kent.
With an inherent passion for motor vehicles, David Ferrett began learning his trade in the 1970s at the Rootes Group in Maidstone, where he was a car washer and trainee salesman. This was during the time electric was only available 3 days a week, and the rest of the week the office was lit by candlelight!
- 1976 Armed with only a Mini 1275 GT and a Triumph Stag, David began trading in pre-owned motor cars.
- 1977-1980 In order to expand, Pauline Patron provided some buildings at Grove End Farm in Tunstall, Sittingbourne, formerly Kent Farm Institute, enabling David to increase his stock. David then moved the business to Jim Mackleden’s Church Farm in Bobbing, where a larger building was available for the cars.
- 1983 Continued expansion allowed David to purchase the St Michaels Road site in Sittingbourne from Swale Motors (now SMG). In those days the site stocked 20 cars and consisted of a BP forecourt and a theatre to the west side.
- 1984 The longest serving team member, Richard Pearson joined the team, our most experienced valeter!
- 1986 Following the demolition of “The Butts Building” theatre, the Showroom and workshops were built.
- 1987 Our current salesman Graeme joined the team
- 1991 Overtook the BP forecourt and stock increased to around 100 cars.
- 1992 The Millen Road site was taken on, at this stage, as a service centre and preparation site. Formerly the site had been Bourne & Hillier Dairy and prior to that A & RJ Wood Haulage Yard. The son, Martin Wood, knowing the site, kindly offered to help David refurbish it to suite our requirements.
- 1994 Our salesman Phil joined the team
- 1998 Our salesman Terry joined the team
- 2004 Sharing his father’s passion for exceptional motor vehicles, David’s son James Ferrett joined the team. Since this time James has established the Millen Road site as a proper retail outlet and has driven this side of the business forward since first purchasing the site initially as a preparation centre in 1992.
- Current day - with increased retail stock at Millen Road, the company has now grown to stock 200 retail cars.
- We’re looking forward to seeing what the future holds for St Michaels Garage.