Tips for Winter Driving
How to Stay Safe
It's cold outside!
So how do you keep you and your car safe on the roads? You could consider a 4-wheel drive for extra grip - and you don't just have to have a big SUV, you can get smaller cars with 4-wheel drive as well!
Here are some more tips to keep safe on the roads in the cold:
- Check your car’s Antifreeze! Without it, the water in your engine could freeze and potentially cause cracking!
- Pack a winter safety kit, which should include: a blanket, shovel, ice scraper, torch, snacks (our favourite one), a warm coat, scarf, hat, gloves, waterproofs.
- In Icy conditions: Uphill, make sure it is clear so there is no need to pull over mid-way up, stay at a constant speed and try not to change gear. Downhill: slow down in plenty of time, leave lots of space between the car in front, stay in a low gear and avoid braking.
- Check your tyres have enough tread, the roads are particularly slippery. You could even consider winter tyres.
- Allow extra time for your journey, slow down and plan ahead.